Unbalanced always seems to be the perfect word to describe the way I find myself feeling come every January 1st. After excess in many forms and the busyness that comes with the holidays, I always come into every new year longing to regain the balance I seemed to have lost toward the end of the year, to get back on track and get back into my normal routine. I know I’m not the only one who feels this way, and of course every new year a thousand new resolutions are made and broken within the first week January. So instead of resolutions I’m deciding to create a list of things I want to add more of in my life this year, instead of setting myself up to fail by making goals for myself that are not always realistic. So here are the things I want to add (or make less of!) in my life in order to regain balance in 2017 (also noted that it is now almost February as I’m writing this so I’m a little late to the game here but it’s never too late to set new goals for yourself) :
- Do more yoga! I fell in love with yoga a few years ago and the way in which it has made me stronger, more balanced physically and mentally, and gives me space each day to be still and more connected mind, body, spirit. I want to add more yoga to my routine this year
- Unplug more. I have had moments lately when I have realized how often each day I scroll through my Instagram or Facebook feeds when I am bored or feel awkward in social settings and I really want to try a social media cleanse every now and then to rid myself of those habits in order to connect with those around me more and work on being more present.
- Simplify, simplify, simplify. In the true nature of Henry David Thorough here, I would really like to get rid of a lot of things this year that I don’t need or want anymore. I have SO much stuff and sometimes I get overwhelmed by having too many things that I really do not need. This also goes along with less buying of things I do not need. This year I want to live more simply.
- Make more nourishing, homemade meals. This past year I have cooked more new recipes and tried making new things that I never had before because cooking new things kind of scared me. I have learned to love cooking and baking natural, homemade meals that are nourishing and nutritious and I want more of that in 2017!
- Read more books. After graduating college I dove back into reading my own books more than ever, and I am so enjoying the freedom to read whatever I want.
- Write more. Tap into my creativity more. Create more!
- Make time for rest, for stillness, for myself.
- Try new things, visit new places, and meet new people. Even if I don’t feel like it. Even if it’s uncomfortable and overwhelming. I want to work on getting out of my comfort zone more.
Most of all I want to love more, to live more fully, to work on being more present with the people and the places around me. I want to connect more and laugh more and become more of the person that I know I want to be.